Sunday, February 8, 2009

About Rescues, from Ashley Harris

Ashley Harris, Harris Heights Horse Farm owner and principal trainer, on her commitment to the rescue and rehabilitation of neglected and abused horses:

"I find them, or they find me, and I bring them back to health. Then, I train them for hunters so they will have a skill, find good homes, and never end up back where they were."

"Here's a letter from my dear friend and co-hort in rescue efforts:

'What we are doing is a good thing. There are too many good ponies and horses out there who need to find their way to someone who will not only save their lives, but work with them. I am happy to be able to try to find the ones with the right temperament and soundness, but it is your dedication and skill that give these ponies the credentials to have a life long job in a good home. For those ponies, it is a win-win situation. They have won the pony lottery!' --Cindy, Fox Run Farm, Kentucky

The poem below is about rescued horses and it melted my heart! Thank you again for your interest in all the good things happening here at Harris Heights."

Baggage
by Evelyn Colbath

Now that I'm home, bathed, settled and fed,
All nicely tucked into my warm new bed,
I would like to open my baggage,
Lest I forget
There is so much to carry -
So much to forget.

Hmm, Yes, here it is, right on the top -
Let's unpack Loneliness, Heartache and Loss,
And there by my halter hides Fear & Shame
As I look on these things I have tried so hard to leave-
I still have to unpack my baggage called Pain.

I loved them, the others, the ones who left me,
But I wasn't good enough - for they didn't want me.
Will you add to my baggage?
Will you help me unpack?
Or will you just look at my things
And take me right back?

Do you have the time to help me unpack?
To put away my baggage,
To never re-pack?
I pray that you do - I'm so tired you see,
But I do come with baggage -
Will you still want me?


................................
We are passionate about saving abused and neglected horses and ponies. We've had so many success stories and want to spotlight some of our special friends here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment on our Harris Heights post! We'll review your input and it will appear on the site immediately following our approval. Thanks again, Ashley Harris, Harris Heights Horse Farm